The Knapp joint was developed during the late Victoria Era in post-Civil War United States. This type of joint is also known as pin-and-cove or half moon. This type of joint is very strong and can be constructed with the use of machinery which means production on a mass scale was possible in a factory setting.
The Knapp joint, patented by Charles Knapp of Waterloo, WI in 1867, was a huge advance for the furniture industry because it could be made quickly by machines called routers, which could create circular cuts in wood. This meant that a the furniture factory could produce quality construction at a faster rate than shops that still relied on hand tools.
This technique was primarily used from around 1870 until 1900.